When I get home all I can think about is what I should make, after all I need to prove to my husband that I really needed all of this. I decided to make dark chocolate cupcakes with blood orange cream cheese icing. I used my stand by chocolate cake recipe and added the juice and zest of one blood orange for my cream cheese icing. The result was amazing, the hint of orange in the icing complimented the very chocolaty cupcake perfectly.
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes (makes 12)
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup and 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line muffin tins. In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture. Spoon mixture into muffin tins, 1/2 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 - 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
Blood Orange Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
8 oz of cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
2 Tbs juice from one blood orange
1 tsp zest from one blood orange
3-4 cups of powdered sugar (sifted)
1 tsp of orange extract
- With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Add the orange extract, blood orange juice and zest and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness.
- Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag and decorate your cupcake.